We will cruise Newport to Nantucket and return, with a handful of stops in between. Newport, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and Buzzards Bay all enjoy rich fishing, whaling and maritime histories which I am sure will be of interest to all. We have incorporated ample time to visit each port and take in the sights, whether on foot, by bicycle or tour guide.
July is mid-summer in New England. You should expect reliable winds, especially in the afternoons, comfortable weather and warm water. Distances between ports of call range from five to 30 nms. See map at end for a broad overview of the area as well as several links to descriptions of Newport, Edgartown and Nantucket.
We are honing in on Cruise “specifics,” including itinerary and events. Here is what we can report so far, recognizing that as we get further along, specifics may change:
- Dates/Timing: Arrival in Newport, RI on Thursday or Friday, June 29th-30th, 2023 with the Opening Dinner the following night on Saturday, July 1st. Conclude the cruise in Newport on Friday, July 14th with the Closing Dinner that night. There are many places to stay in Newport ranging from quaint B&Bs to luxury hotels.
- General Location: We feel a cruise of the Newport to Nantucket region (Cape Cod & Islands) would be ideal – great sailing, many ports and anchorages, loaded with New England history, accessible vis-a-vis travel, etc.
- Size of Fleet: We hope to have 25-50 boats in our fleet, perhaps half represented by our Nordic friends, the remainder from the North American fleet.
- Availability of charter boats: There are at least four charter companies in the Newport area with more than enough boats (in the 40-50 foot range) to accommodate our needs. Most boats are Beneteau and Jeanneau. In the high season (July/August), charters typically run Saturday to Saturday.
- Mothership: Our traditional mothership, the Loyal, may not be available. We are working on an alternative and hope to have more to announce soon.
- Expected costs: This will depend on the events and arrangements we make but the cost per person we anticipate in the range of $750 – 900 per person.
Thursday June 29 Arrive Newport –check into hotel, enjoy Newport, dinner on your own
Friday, June 30 Arrive Newport –check into hotel, enjoy Newport, dinner on your own
Saturday July 1 Newport – tours (historic mansions), shopping, lots to see and do. Pick up charter vessels, provisioning, etc. Opening Dinner or cocktail party in Newport – perhaps at the New York Yacht Club
Sunday, July 2 Layday – more of Newport or optional excursion to the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol, either by Uber or boat.
Monday, July 3 Sail to Cuttyhunk Island (25 nms.) – a small charming island, with a good anchorage. Lobster bake on the docks.
Tuesday, July 4 Layday – Independence Day in America…hopefully fireworks nearby.
Wednesday, July 5 Sail to Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard (25 nms.) – Cocktail/dinner party at Edgartown Yacht Club overlooking the harbor
Thursday, July 6 Layday in Edgartown, or sail to Hyannisport
Friday, July 7 Sail to Nantucket (25 nms.)
Saturday, July 8 Layday in Nantucket – Cocktails at the Nantucket Yacht Club. Dinner on your own in Nantucket
Sunday, July 9 Layday in Nantucket, tour of the Whaling Museum
Monday, July 10 Sail to Tarpaulin Cove (35 nms.) – raft-up and floating cocktails
Tuesday, July 11 Sail to Hadley’s Harbor (10 nms.) – very special little cove
Wednesday, July 12 Sail to New Bedford – (18 nms.) – Large commercial fishing port –excellent Whaling Museum. Alternative…Marion
Thursday, July 13 Contingency day
Friday, July 14 Return to Newport (35 nms.) closing dinner party
Saturday, July 15 Turn in charter boats – stay on in Newport or head home
We are beginning to determine headcount and fleet size. To that end we need to know on a preliminary basis if you are likely to participate. Note, we are not asking for deposits at this time. Please fill out the form below:
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Chace Anderson, Cruise Chairman